HomeStart support for Sleaford families helped by community grant
Sleaford REP Community Liaison Panel awarded a grant to a charity working in Sleaford to help vulnerable families. The Preparation Course of volunteers funded by the Panel commenced on May 12th and was completed during 14th July 2014.
The 40 hour course covered the following topics:-
The role of a Home-Start volunteer: values and attitudes, family life – parents and children, family life - stress factors, communication skills, community support networks, child development, safeguarding, confidentiality, commitment, boundaries and support, personal safety, home visiting and the mechanics of Home-Start and endings.
Since the beginning of June, 17 Sleaford families have been referred for our support, 12 of the referrals have been for home visiting and staff support, 1 family did not take up our offer and the remainder attended our family Group. The families in Sleaford have been referred for a variety of reasons including depression, isolation, domestic abuse, alcohol misuse, new baby in the family, number of children under the age of 5 years.
We have recently requested feedback from the families that we are currently supporting and below is a sample of their comments:-
What do you like about Home-Start?
- Having someone to talk to
- Like a friend
- Everyone is helpful and friendly
- Friendly always here when needed
- That a responsible adult comes to my house and supports me. My children look forward to having our volunteer as it means more quality time with them.
- I like it when people come to my home.
How do you think we can improve the support we offer?
- I think the service is already invaluable and they do so much already
- No improvement – always a phone call away or call in the office if needed
- I think that you would struggle to improve the service
How do you think Home-Start helped?
- Someone to talk to
- Emotional support
- Practical support
- Filling in forms
- Fun, development and friendship
- One of my main lifelines
- Shoulder to cry on
A spokesperson for HomeStart said: "The funding from the Community Liaison Panel has played a very important part in the delivery of our service in Sleaford Town and we thank you very much for your grant."